Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Question #2: Least favorite part of being a mom

It's something I call Mom guilt
From Seagraves' Wedding
Yes, Mom Guilt. I don't know how to explain it, but I think it's a new mom thing. I've talked to others about it; I hear it goes away at the second child. I feel like most mom's just get it when I say Mom Guilt, am I right? Because I don't know how to explain it. In a broad sense, it's as if I always have Bella on my mind, what Bella is doing, and wondering if I'm making the right decisions for her.

I think mine, like many, comes from trying to be "super mom", and it's impossible. Meaning, we can be the best we can be - but you can't compare yourselves to every other mom or every thing you read. For the most part, I'm done with Mom Guilt now that she's not a tiny baby. But I still have to remind myself sometimes to relax and enjoy the moment!

Does this make sense? Do you have/had mom guilt?

6 comments:

Katie said...

Totally. I live in a constant state of Mom Guilt. When I stayed at home I was worried that I wasn't providing enough developmental stimulation and letting them watch tv too much. Now that I work, I worry that they aren't getting enough "mommy time". Mom Guilt exists in every situation.

"GG" said...

Mom guilt has been around since the beginning of Adam. I still suffer from it...wondering if the decisions I made as a Mom were beneficial or detrimental to our boys. I sometimes agonize over decisions that if I allow them to... will haunt me to this day. But I was often reminded that I was not Superwoman and that she was a fictional character. And my good friends always reminded that God's Grace is an amazing thing. And that doing the right thing was certainly not popular most of the time. So I choose to look it as I did the best I could under the circumstances, accept that I make mistakes and smile now that they didn't turn out half bad.
Katie, you have and will continue to be the very best Mom to Bella and any future Chris Green babies. I know this because you love God and follow His Son, and because of this God loves you more than the birds!!!! Love you dearly and cannot wait to see you all! Hugs and kisses to you, Chris and our precious Bella.

Nana Julie said...

GG is so great with the words. I second what she says. I still wonder if I should have let you walk around for months with your one silver glove on so you could be like Michael Jackson. Or not knowing Ryan was terrified of the Gear Bears wallpaper -thought they were staring at him. Or letting Keegan wear my Christmas sweater with bells on it to school. Or Chelsie & all her wild hair dos. There are deeper regrets but it just shows you are in love with your child. That will never go away. I am so thankful for each & every one of you.

The Harner's said...

I know exactly what you mean! Amen Sista! I like to pride myself on what I feel like I am doing right. How we nurture, love, and care for them. We all at some point or another question ourselves. We just "know"! :) You are doing a great job! Don't you worry one bit!

Anonymous said...

Oh girl, after number three I still struggle. I want he house to be clean, before I do anything. Well that takes all day most days... then I struggle with the fact that I was cleaning all day. Its a never ending cycle! We just have to get over it and focus on them. H

Anonymous said...

I don't even have a woman. I have the "I'm sorry ladies that I broke your heart" guilt. Does that count?


I am so kidding, that might be the cockiest thing I have ever said eventhough I was joking.