Thursday, September 15, 2011

Last night/ this morning

Bella has had a cough for a couple of weeks. Just when she wakes up in the morning and at nap. But Monday, it got a little worse and "seal-like" (aka - I knew that meant croup). And she had a fever. By Tuesday at lunch, Farrah had the fever and woke up from nap with the seal cough. They slept well Tuesday night, so Wednesday we had to get out of the house as to not go stir crazy!

Bella's fever was getting better, but Farrah was still hot and I could tell coughing hurt her (Bella never complained of it hurting). And we had plenty of moments where they seemed fine... this is the new "silly" face and it CRACKS me up every time I look at it!

So last night (Wednesday) I put them in the hot steamy shower with me until the hot water ran out. They went to sleep so fast - at 7:30! Which is early these days. I was relieved b/c a couple of days with under the weather kids can make you very weary...... but then Farrah woke up crying hard at 8:30 and trying to catch her breath. Even dry heaving once. Um, that will scare you. Her voice was so soft so there is no telling if she'd been crying for a while?? I felt terrible and just held her. She was wheezing in & out. The nurse felt with her symptoms I should take her in that night! AHHHHHH! I won't go into every detail, but of all nights... it was already a long day and Chris was leaving town this morning.... ahhhhhhhh.

But in the end, I am so glad we went. She has croup and stridor, so they gave her a steroid and a breathing treatment. But the catch was we had to stay around 2 hrs after the breathing treatment so they could check her again. It worked like a charm. And she was asleep in the big Children's Healthcare Bed. But it was 3am and I was tired & hungry! And COLD! It had to be 60 degrees in there. Internet didn't work well either. I should have brought food, a book and a jacket. Note to self for next time. Hopefully that won't be anytime soon. I hadn't been to the ER since Bella was 3 days old.

Farrah slept until 11am today! And she's still sick, but a HUGE difference. And she is taking a nap, which I didn't expect. If we had not gone as recommended, it probably would have been a much harder night of sleep and a hard day - managing 2 at the Dr. office. So it all worked out.

Yesterday, last night in particular, was so trying. So trying. All this, plus Bella jumping on the bed (which she's told 100 times a day she can't do) and getting a stinger or something in her neck. Scared me to death. Then going to the ER with Farrah. I am really not trying to complain or be dramatic, but geez... I was at my limit! But I was so happy that Farrah improved so much. (She just seemed to get sick so fast!) And I was driving home thinking, "Lord, please let tomorrow be nice to me."

And it has been. Girls slept in, Farrah until 11!, and we went out for BBQ to quench a pregnancy craving. Then doughnuts. Because if one can ever "deserve" food for a hard day, we did. And now naps... And we're gonna make it :)

In the waiting room:

Waiting for the Dr:

After the steroid, she felt lots better. Entertaining with a plastic glove.

Sound asleep:


Tara said...

oh my goodness, bless all of yalls hearts. So glad the girls are on the mend. Praying for continued recovery for the girls and mommy's nerves :)

Miranda said...

Hey Katie! I just want to say I love reading about your family. Your girls are so stinkin cute! Your family stories are always uplifting and make me smile. And your right - that new funny face photo is hilarious! I laugh every time I see it! Praying for you and Hallie!

Julie Tiemann said...

Poor baby and poor mommy!!! Hope everyone is 100% now and you have a great week ahead!!!

GG said...

Those pictures of Farrah reminded me of taking Chris to the emergency room at Scottish Rite when he was 18 months old. 105.4 fever and they were about to test him for spinal meningitis. They stuck him in a tub of ice water...and I still shiver remembering him scream!